Welcome to St. Pete Air! If you’re interested in becoming an aviator, our friendly staff is dedicated to making it happen. Our flight school is staffed with the most experienced instructors in the Tampa Bay area, having logged thousands of hours in training student pilots locally. Our instructors can customize your learning experience to suit your personal needs, whether your goal is to begin a career in aviation and take an accelerated path towards the commercial level, or to fulfill your dream of becoming a private pilot at your own pace.
St. Pete Air offers flight training under F.A.R. Part 61 criteria for all ratings. Our primary training fleet consists of Cessna 172 G1000, Cessna 172 P, and Piper Archer/Arrow models equipped with Garmin GNS-430 GPS systems. All aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art Traffic Awareness Systems to provide you with the highest level of safety.
Certificates & Ratings Offered
- Private Pilot
- Instrument Pilot
- Commercial Pilot
- CFI Pilot
- High Performance Rating
- Complex Rating
Flight & Ground Instruction
Rates are twofold: you’ll pay the instructor rate plus the rental rate of the plane of your choice.
Standard Instructor Rate: $65.00/hr
Club Member Instructor Rate: $57.20/hr
Plane Rental: Rates Vary -click for specific rates on each plane
Discovery Flight: $69.00 – Take the controls of our Cessna 172S with a Certified Flight Instructor on a flight around the St. Pete area and determine if the path of aviation is for you! Passengers welcome for $25. Some restrictions apply. Call 727-755-1359 to reserve.
Solo Course Packages (nonrefundable, one time payment)
Includes 15 hours of dual flight instruction with 5 hours of ground, headset and flight bag with required materials. Do the math… this will save you a few hundred dollars!!
Cessna 172P Skyhawk with Garmin 430 (w/ Traffic) = $2985.00
Cessna 172S Skyhawk with Garmin G1000 = $3395.00
Instrument Safety Course Packages (nonrefundable, one time payment)
Designed to take your Private Pilot experience to a safer level with increased instrument training. Can be used towards your instrument rating.
Cessna 172P Skyhawk or Piper Archer = $1995.00
Cessna 172SP Skyhawk with G1000 or Piper Arrow = $2295.00
FAA Private Pilot Requirements
The FAA requires a minimum of 40 hours with each criteria met below. Most students finish their requirements in 50-60 hours. Our instructors will work with you to meet your timeline and goals.
- Be at least 17 years of age. Students may begin training prior to this as young as 14.
- Be able to read, write and converse fluently in English.
- Obtain at least a third class medical certificate from an Aviation Medical Examiner
- Pass a computerized aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-designated computer testing center with a score of 70 or higher
- *Accumulate and log flight experience (FAR 61.109). Receive a minimum of 40 hours of flight instruction and solo flight time including:
- *Solo Requirements:
- 10 total hours of which 5 must be solo cross-county time
- One solo cross-country flight of at least 150 nmi (280km) total distance, with full-stop landings at a minimum of 3 points and with at least one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50nmi (93km) between the takeoff and landing locations
- Three solo takeoffs and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower
- 3 hours of night flight training
- One cross-country flight over 100nmi (190km)
- 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (w/ each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport
- 3 hours of flight training on the control and maneuvering solely by reference to instruments
- 3 hours of flight training for cross-country flights
- 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test.
Private Pilot Syllabus
Download St. Pete Air’s Private PIlot Syllabus. A step by step guide to Private Pilot Training created by our Certified Flight Instructors.
Private Pilot Ground School
Next course announcement coming soon. Contact Brian Williams, [email protected], for registration and details.
St. Pete Air will be conducting a ground school course every quarter. The course will focus on the oral component of the private pilot check ride and will be useful for students pursuing a private pilot license, those returning to flying, or those seeking a refresher course. Class will be held on a weekday evening from 6-8 pm for 6 weeks. Please inquire at [email protected] or 727-755-1359 to reserve your space for the next class.
Club members: $199.00, Non members: $299.00
- Aircraft Systems
- Airport Information
- Airspace and Sectional
- Weather Analysis
- Performance Calculations
- Cross Country Planning
Course includes 12 hours of ground class. Please inquire at [email protected] or 727-755-1359.
For more information on flight training, please give us a ring or stop in for a tour of our school! Or, Book a Discovery Flight to see if becoming a pilot is for you. Only $69!